Establishment of New Hank Blalock #9 All-Star Scholarship
...$10,000 scholarship to one high school junior during the 2005-2006 school year in the Arlington
It was announced today that Texas Rangers third baseman Hank Blalock will donate a $10,000 scholarship to one high school junior during the 2005-2006 school year in the Arlington Independent School District. This scholarship was created in order for Blalock to give back to the Arlington community that supports the Rangers while providing an opportunity for an AISD junior to attend an institution of higher learning in pursuit of a chosen career.
“It was very important to me that the recipient of the scholarship be a high school junior,” commented Blalock. “I want this student to be able to go into their final year of high school knowing that they have the ability to take their education to the next level. This scholarship program allows me to make a difference in a student’s life, and I am extremely honored to be a part of this process.”
Students will be required to complete an application and submit an essay entitled “How the Hank Blalock Scholarship will help me in preparing for my future.” The essay will account for 80% of the selection process with the remaining 20% based on school/community recommendations. A committee at each AISD high school campus, nine total, will screen the applications and select five finalists. Blalock will then personally pick the winner from those 45 applicants. The deadline for submission is February 24, 2006.
The recipient of the scholarship and his/her parents will be invited to a Texas Rangers day game followed by dinner with Hank Blalock where he will personally present the scholarship.
Applications are available online at www.aisd.net, SCHOLARSHIPS link or can be picked up in any Arlington ISD counselor’s office.
Gregg Elkin – Senior Director, Baseball Media Relations ? 817.273.5241 ? firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Beard – Manager, Business Communications ? 817.273.5203 ? email@example.com
Bobby Crook – Coordinator, Baseball Media Relations ? 818.436.5909 ? firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax 817.273.5243 ? texasrangers.com